Well if Easter isn’t the time for a chocolate overload then I don’t know when is. Despite the huge amounts of chocolate our Enchanting Elves have consumed so far, they were desperate to do some Easter baking.
Chocolate Cornflake nests are one of those things that you forget just how good they are, plus they are simple, no bake and great fun to make! There are loads of recipes on the web, and many variations. This is our version, and I can honestly say they are DELICIOUS. So get some ingredient, clear the kitchen table and get making with your kids - it’s the perfect afternoon activity with a sweet treat at the end!
200g milk chocolate
3-4 tbsp golden syrup
100g mini marshmallows
mini eggs to decorate
1. Firstly, Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup together. Melting chocolate and syrup is VERY VERY HOT. Please make sure an adult does this part. You can do this 2 ways...
- Place in a microwaveable bowl and melt in 30 second bursts. Keep stirring in between bursts and take your time. It will all melt down into a rich, smooth, chocolatey liquid (about the consistency of double cream). Keep stirring after each 30 seconds and it is done once the lumps of chocolate are melted.
- Place in a heatproof bowl that fits snugly over a saucepan (see the picture above of how this should look). Have an inch or two of simmering water at the bottom of the pan and make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Again, take your time and keep stiring until it has all melted together.
2. Carefully place the bowl with the melted chocolate mixture onto your work surface on a tea towel. This will help to stop it slipping when you stir your ingredient in.
3. Next stir in your cornflakes, marshmallows or any other extras you are adding to your cornflake mix. Again, take your time to get everything evenly coated. Your marshmallows might melt a bit which makes them extra delicious! Stir them all through until your have everything coated in the chocolate mix.
4. Now you can put mixture into your cupcake cases. Use a spoon or your hands (make sure an adult has checked the temperature of your mix if you are using your hands - it should be cool enough to handle but not set. Again, hot chocolate, syrup and sugar is very very hot, so please double check at this stage before any small hand touch the mixture). Divide the mixture evenly into your cupcake cases and try and make a slight indent or dip in the middle - like a nest!
5. Finally you can add your eggs - just pick your favourite brand of mini chocolate eggs, and add 2-3 to each one. We place ours in the fridge to set for half an hour (if you can wait that long...!) and then eat and enjoy!
Have a good break over the long weekend, relax and have some good family time / down time / not work time!
Happy Easter love from Griselda and the Enchanting Elves xx